The H5P Moodle plugin is here! It is still quite a new plugin, but has excellent functionality!
See the H5P website for information about the amazing interactive options.
When you first download the plugin, you will need to install the content types that you want to use. Here are some tips that may help you get going.
Get familiar with the options
There are heaps of content types available to use! Some of the most popular are:
- Interactive video
- Course presentation
- Find multiple hotspots
- Drag and drop
- Memory game
You would be wise to check these out at the H5P web site before downloading them into your Moodle site. There are heaps of them and the list is growing…
How large is your site?
Do you have a small number of people creating content on your site – or maybe it’s just you?
If so, then you can have fun and download content types as you need them!
If you have a larger site, then you may want to restrict the number of activity types. The main reason for this is that it could be overwhelming for your course creators if there are too many options to start with.
You may decide to install all of them, it’s your call.
Note: Once a content type is uploaded there is currently no option to remove it.
The delete option has not been implemented in the Moodle H5P plugin as yet. If required, you can hide content types from your teachers (see instructions below).
Downloading content types
Many content type activities are available for you to install. To access these:
- Go to a course and turn on editing
- Add an H5P activity
- Click on the Editor options dropdown
- Click on All
- Click on Get to download the content type you require
- Go to [your site name]/mod/hvp/library_list.php
- Notice that the option is in the list
Don’t forget – once the content type is uploaded, there is currently no option to remove it.
Hiding installed content types
Do you want to prevent other content types from being downloaded?
- Go to [your Moodle URL]/admin/settings.php?section=modsettinghvp
- Download button = never show
- Use H5P Hub = untick
- Once these settings are in place, even you will not be able to install content types using the method described above. You will need to download the plugin from the H5P site and upload it to your Moodle site from [your Moodle URL]/mod/hvp/library_list.php. Of course you could temporarily reverse steps 1 and 2 above instead.
Prevent editing teachers from using particular content types
Have you downloaded a content type that you don’t want your teachers to see?
If you want to restrict your editing teachers from using particular content types that are downloaded on your site:
- Go to [your Moodle URL]/mod/hvp/library_list.php and tick the Restricted box for the activities that you do not want used
- Go to the permissions for an Editing Teacher
- Search for H5P
- Use restricted libraries = Not set
Note: the teacher can see other content types but cannot download them. This may be frustrating or confusing for the teacher.
Please note – there are concerns with using H5P:
- It is currently possible for people with programming skills to cheat in H5P interactions and obtain the full score without knowing the correct answers. H5P activities should not be used for exams or similar. I recommend you use the Moodle quiz instead.
Possible issues you may come up against
|You can’t restrict the activities?||Check your permissions. mod/hvp:restrictlibraries should = Allow
|You can’t download all the activities?||Check your permissions. mod/hvp:updatelibraries should = Allow
|You can’t download the Questionnaire?||If you go to [your Moodle URL]/admin/settings.php?section=modsettinghvp, you can see that this requires a Learning Record Store to function properly.|